Sunday, April 14, 2013

Lace Laurel: My Sewcie Tea Dress

Quite some time ago I bought a remnant of blue lace from Tessuti. It had been sitting in my stash, as I didn't really know what to do with it. And then Melanie announced that Sewcie Tea was taking place! A high tea event with sewers - what a perfect opportunity to wear my blue lace!

I ummed and ahhed over which pattern to use. I had visions of a fitted bodice with a circle skirt, but the reality was that I didn't have that much fabric. I was also really reluctant to have the hem of a circle skirt show through, as I knew I wouldn't be able to use the selvedge.

Then Colette Patterns released Laurel - a shift dress. It was a pattern-fabric match made in heaven. The bonus is also that I know I will get a lot of wear out of this lacy dress.



I made the underlined version. I used anti-static lining from Tessuti in a antique-y silver colour. I found choosing the lining colour very difficult - thank you to Bree from Tessuti for helping.

I made a muslin and made the following alterations:

  • I made a size 8 at the shoulders and in the sleeves and a size 6 every where else. Maybe a size 4 through the waist - I had to take it in quite a bit there, but I did it on the dress rather than on the pattern, so I don't have an accurate record of the sizing in each part. 
  • I also had to take 6cm out of the neck at the back. I did this by taking 1cm out each side of the zip, and then folding the rest out above the back dart by creating a small dart (I don't actually have a neck dart on the dress, I just folded it out like a dart). I had to slash the back dart up a little (essentially making it a wee bit longer) to get the pattern piece to sit correctly. 

I wore it with my wedding shoes and jewellery. My shoes almost cost as much as my wedding dress (!) - they are Guiseppe Zanotti shoes and are divine. I bought them at Jean Brown in Brisbane over 5 years ago now! My jewellery was made by a local Brisbane designer, Chelsea De Luca (I believe she has a website), and are fabulous art deco pieces. I love being able to wear them again.

Sewcie Tea was fabulous. Here are a few pictures I 'borrowed' from sewbrunswick.blogspot.com and Melanie:

All 26 of us - didn't we look fine!

Lara (thornberry), Anna (blogless Anna), me, Leith (Sew Brunswick)

Our table - what a gorgeous bunch! 

Mingling - me, Kat, Lizzy, Rachel

All the details of yesterday are on Melanie's blog - thank you to Melanie for organising such a wonderful afternoon - I had a blast, and I know everyone else did too! 

18 comments:

  1. Your dress is gorgeous! I'm loving watching all the pics from the event pop up - it's so much fun to spot some many familiar faces all in the same place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Laurel! The colour really suits you. Sewcie Tea sounds very ladylike and civilised and a little bit posh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit bummed I didn't get a chance to come and meet you and have a proper look at your dress. It looked amazing on you! Definitely my favourite Laurel to date :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful! Perfect colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Laurel is perfect, I love the lace you chose for it and I'm envious of that great fit^^!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you are so cute! Lovely dress and as always...love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Rachel, it's a beautiful dress. Looks like you had a great day too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is so DvF looking to me. Great job, you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is SO your colour, and it's lovely to see a remnant go from table to style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did look absolutely gorgeous and I was admiring those shoes and jewellery - so lovely to know that it was from your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous dress, you look hot lady! And it sounds/looks like you all had the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought I spied you in that group photo. Gorgeous dress! It looks lovely on you. I'm about to make a lace dress to wear to a wedding in may. Hopefully it turns out as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love. Your. Dress. Simply beautiful Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Rachel,

    Looks like you guys had an amazing day :)

    I was wondering if your interested in reviewing some products from an online craft store, http://www.alacraft.com.au. We would like to send you a sample of our inventory for you to use when you like in exchange for a review of the products on your site. If your interested you can contact me at james.hatton@alacraft.com.au. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know I was ogle-ing your jewellery every chance I got - it is really beautiful, and suits you to a tee. Thanks for the name - I might have to check her out next time I'm in brissy visiting the parentals!
    Your dress is so lovely, and that lace is a perfect colour for you. Love the length too - break out the pins! You looked great in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wished I'd gotten to chat, I kept ogling your dress from afar, it's simply stunning! The lace is an amazing colour on you.

    ReplyDelete