Friday, July 6, 2012

Perfect (?) Ponti and Styles Post-Baby

As you probably already know, I favour natural fibre fabrics. I love linen, cotton, silk, and wool. I hardly ever deviate from these fabrics. Recently in Tessuti however, Lisa drew my eye to their beautiful range of jewel-toned ponti knits. My goodness they were lovely.

I wasn't sure what I would make (I usually go fabric shopping with a clear purpose, patterns, and list), but I desperately wanted some of this lovely teal-turquoise coloured ponti. Given I was unclear what to make, I bought 1 metre, thinking I would make a pencil skirt if nothing else caught my fancy.

That is what I made. I used the skirt portion from BurdaStyle's Melissa dress (which is the knit version of the Jenny dress):


I cut the size 36, and tapered in an additional 0.5cm on the sides for a firmer fit. By the end of yesterday the skirt had stretched out a fair bit, so I may have been better to cut the 34. 



I think I like the way it looks, but I really am not used to wearing firm fitting skirts. This question annoys Michael no end, but do you think I'm a bit lumpy for this style? Having a baby has changed my body, making me unsure of what suits me sometimes.

I just realised how worn-out my tights are!

So, that's my 1 metre ponti skirt! I love the bright colours that are very popular at the moment. I've got a few more finished projects up my sleeve that I'm going to get photographed this weekend - hopefully I'll be able to post one soon. 

17 comments:

  1. What lumps? And I'm not just saying that-- you know how everyone can be so uber affirming sometimes. You look great. You can definitely pull it off. I love those stable knits for styles like this. I am lumpier than you and I always feel like they smooth me out a bit and hold me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same - what lumps? Wish I could wear a skirt and have it looking like that, but my I'm pear shaped so can't do. Your skirt looks great and that is my favourite colour at the minute. You were lucky, that colour ponti walked out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, I think you can pull this off quite well. Although I know what you mean - I'd feel rather exposed in a figure hugging knit skirt as well! I LOVE the colour on you too - especially with that uber cute yellow birdy! So sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think you can pull this style off. I do understand how you feel though. Whenever I try skirts on like this in the shops I feel like they make me look a bit weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teale is a lovely colour on you Rachel...jewel colours are perfect for you. Sometimes I wonder if photographs tell the 'truth' about a moving, alive body ...wear your skirt with confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Perfect fit! No lumps. Beautiful colour. I have the blueberry ponti knit from Tessuti. I think I'll make a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely shaped skirt. You always look so stylish. I know it's the clothes you sew, but I think the hair has a lot to do with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lumps?! Ha are you kidding me?! :)
    I've made that skirt a few times....and the dress...no, i haven't blogged about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great in that skirt! Trust me I had the same concerns post baby! I love the jewel toned skirt. You need to make it again in the other jewel tones. It's very flattering:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nup, no lumps here. Looking GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto ALL these comments. It's my fave colour and you look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOU ARE NOT TOO LUMPY! This looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently bought a skirt similar (ponti fabric) which my friend pushed me into buying, I didn't like at the time and now I love it. It’s nice to shake things up occasionally. The skirt certainly suits you and you have a lovely figure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are no lumps in sight or any evidence that you've had a baby full stop. I'd love to have your figure! I really think this style of skirt suits you beautifully and the colour is divine. I bet it's comfortable too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fine to me but if you're worried get some Spanx-that way you'll feel more confident (though not necessarily more comfortable) while you're out in this. Also, any chance of your installing disqus (so I don't have to deal with the blindness inducing hideousness that is recaptcha, everytime I want to comment XD). Disqus handles spam blocking for you (it uses Akismet, the same algorithm that's built into Wordpress) and enables cross platform commenting while keeping tabs on comments, responses, pings and trackbacks. This means people from wordpress, typepad, livejournal, overblog etc will be able to keep track of responses without having to get a Google ID.

    See you around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, I dont think I'm quite at the spanx stage - I wore them after giving birth at the suggestion of my ob/gyn to assist in my recovery from pelvic dysfunction. Definitely not reafy to go thete again.

      I'll look at

      Delete
    2. Sorry... Stupid iphone typing. Will look at disqus.

      Delete