Saturday, May 5, 2012

Rasberry Linen Jacket: V8721

Do you all read Erica B's blog? She's pretty inspirational - her sewing is amazing. Recently I saw her version of Vogue 8721 in hot pink linen, and immediately wanted one. But I wanted a metallic-y one... so I took myself of to Tessuti and bought the most amazing lurex-coated linen that has been enzyme washed. 

Before I cut into my precious metallic linen though, I wanted to make the jacket to check the fit and make sure it looked ok with the tailoring changes I made. So I bought some linen from The Fabric Store that was on sale, and made a 'test' version - that I fully intend to wear!


First I cut a medium, then quickly did a calico version with just the main front and back pieces. It was much too big for me, so I cut my fashion fabric as a small, grading to a medium at the shoulders only. I have quite broad shoulders.


The only changes I made - which aren't really changes, more like additions - were to tape the roll line and add slim shoulder pads. My first time using shoulder pads! It was very easy - I used a tutorial found on Casey's blog.



I love this jacket - and it was simple to sew. As Erica B said too, it is a boxy style, so there is no need for millions of muslins.


I don't know why the lining looks so puckery there, it doesn't in real-life. The only part I don't like is that on one side (see the top picture), I've got a bit of a lump where the top of the jacket hits the middle bit. I think I mustn't have trimmed it enough... so I'm going to unpick it and have a look at it tonight.

So.. what do you think? Should I go ahead and make it in my lovely lurex metallic linen?

P.S. - thank you for the b'day wishes on my last post - still can't believe she's one!

P.P.S. - work is going well, though Michael is away overseas - went to America for a week, came back for four days and has now left today for Italy for two weeks. Doing everything by myself while working is verrrry exhausting. I ended up with a stomach bug and mastitis again - which began on the day Michael arrived home last week! Send energy thoughts my way please!!

12 comments:

  1. Your jacket is beautiful. Love that color. That pattern's been on my inspiration board since I saw Erica's version. The jacket looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES to the lurex linen! Love the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes do it! Raspberry is one of my favourite colours.
    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a jacket! I love it, the style is perfect on you and I love the Raspberry colour. You can totally go ahead and cut it out in your fashion fabric now, can't believe you're going to have two awesome jackets like this one ;o) Thanks also for sharing Erica B's blog, I'm off to explore it now.

    Definitely sending positive thoughts your way, I don't know how you do it all, you're a super woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That jacket and you look gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous on you Rachel....jewel colours really suit you. Fabulous sewing.
    I hope you are feeling better...mastitis is nasty...do take care...I wish I was nearby to give you a hand.
    Mx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The jacket is so cool, you should definitely make it in your nice fabric! Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful jacket Rachel! Really lovely.

    I feel for you with a travelling husband. Mine is a platinum frequent flyer. Very hard with little kids and work. My work days are a bit like a military mission! I do find that when he's away I have them in bed by 6.30pm (sometimes 6pm!!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This absolutely gorgeous. Love it! The colour and cut are fabulous and look awesome with the jeans. It looks like a really versatile style. Looking forward to your next version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I love this colour on you! And I'm really drawn to the diagonal lines along the front hem (and pockets)? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That jacket would be a really good start!! I use tps made in knits which dont need ironing and pants which corinate . I seem to wear alot of black and white/cream with splashes of red. It works well and I often get comments that I look smart. Also you can gradually build a wardrobe where everything goes with everything else.
    Good luck with the working . Its a nice balance I think .I had 3 kids and never really stopped work and it was fine as long as I didnt get too THINGY about house work and sewed instead !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found your blog and reading back through some of your sewing adventures - impressive stuff! And I recognise that necklace ;) Will be following what you make next! L xx

    ReplyDelete