I had some lovely vintage jade green material with a paisley-like print on it that I thought would be perfect, but wanted to make a muslin of it first (I am getting so much less impatient to get to the 'good version' than I used to be :-).
So I made a version out of some quilting cotton I got from Spotlight for about $3 a metre. Here it is with a 1940's 6-gore skirt finished a while ago:
I ended up doing a few minor alterations. I increased the side seams to about 2cm instead of 1.2cm, and created a facing for the back neck edge. The pattern did not provide one - instead saying to make 'bias strips'. I made an actual shaped facing piece.
I think it turned out nicely:
This fabric was a little bit too heavy weight though I think. I have made the vintage green material version, which was a lighter weight polished cotton, and it sits so much more nicely. I trimmed the neck edge for the green one in black lace. I haven't taken pics of it yet, but will post them as soon as I do. I really really love the green one - wore it to my new job (very exhausting, serious learning curve for me) last week with black Veronika Maine trousers and felt tres chic!
I haven't had much time to sew lately - the new job is seriously taxing - I feel like a complete zombie. My next projects though are:
Collete Pattern's Macaron in a quilting cotton and silk contrast.
Vogue 8184 in a white and black striped heavy weight stretch cotton that I am completely in love with. I got it from Tessuti's remnant table and can't wait to wear it all made up.