Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Sad Tale of the Liberty Quilt (With a Happy Ending).

For Little M's second birthday in April 2013, Michael and I gave her a big girl's bed. I wanted to sew her a quilt for it. A Liberty quilt. What can I say? I see Liberty as 'Celebration Fabric'. My girl was graduating into the big world of beds and I thought a Liberty quilt would be just the ticket.

I ordered my Liberty from Shaukat, and made a simple square quilt top with coordinating quilt bottom. I decided to get it machine-quilted by a professional as a single bed quilt is huge. I love hand-sewing, but not that much, and not through that many layers of fabric.

So I went to Amitie Textiles in Gardenvale and bought the wadding and asked them to send it to be quilted with one of their quilters. The chose to send it to a woman called Cheryl CA Quilter. All was apparently going well, but was taking a long time. I rang a few times and it finally was ready to be picked up, ready for me to bind. I went and picked it up and it had been quilted on the wrong side (the quilt bottom had been quilted as the top). I was somewhat distraught, Amitie rang Cheryl CA Quilter and arranged for it to be sent back to her to be fixed. After two weeks I went in to Amitie to pick it up, and the quilt had holes all over it where Cheryl CA Quilter had unpicked the original quilting. I was just a teeny bit upset. Amitie again rang Cheryl, and I also spoke to her and she suggested sending the quilt back to her to be washed in some sort of special quilt wash that would remove the holes.

About a week later, Cheryl CA Quilter texted me for my address to send me the quilt (I thought to save me the trip of going to Gardenvale again). The quilt came in the mail, and yep, she washed it, but she'd also unpicked it again. Meaning there were TWO SETS OF HOLES on the LIBERTY QUILT (sorry for the capitalisation there). The quilt was unpicked and in three pieces. She'd also included a cheque for her fee (she was refunding me her fee).

Well, I was furious. I rang Amitie, asked them to assist in resolving it, they told me it was between me and Cheryl CA Quilter. How extremely unfair and unhelpful. So I rang Cheryl CA Quilter who told me to wash the quilt and see if the holes would come out. If they didn't, she said she would pay for the Liberty fabric (not my time putting the thing together, but the fabric). I did as she asked, the holes didn't come out. I tried again. I tried steam ironing it. Nothing worked. I rang Cheryl CA Quilter and asked her to pay me for 7m of Liberty (and I was very polite) and she told me she couldn't talk to me, she was busy.

Queue many tears from me. I shoved the quilt pieces in a storage box and tried to forget about it. Until one day I saw that ruined Liberty quilt while tidying and had a brain wave. I would ask Michael to help me make Little M an A-Frame Tent with the Liberty quilt. Here is what we came up with:



We've been having 43 degree days here this week. I came home Monday arvo and found them playing in it with the air conditioning on full blast.





Pretty cute. So that is my story of the Liberty Quilt. And I guess it is my review of Amitie Textiles and Cheryl CA Quilter. I'm glad we got a cute tent out of it, but it was a pretty expensive tent!!

21 comments:

  1. This makes me so angry, but that tent is so very cute - I do hope you get your money back, I don't know why they would make such silly assumptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth - it was a pretty disappointing experience.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. That's such a shame. Its a lovely tent but still....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, that is really upsetting. I hope Amitie aren't referring any more people to that quilter, and that you get refunded for the fabric. The play tent is very sweet, though.
    (If you ever dare try LA quilting again, I have used Jeanette at http://www.thequiltingplatypus.com/ twice, and she has been very quick and professional - I just posted it to her and she sent it back. One was a quilt for my son's birthday and she turned it around in a couple of days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy - that referral is much appreciated as I am attempting to make her another one for her 3rd b'day in April this year!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness,oh my goodness!! I'm horrified at your sad story! All that work... At least your little one now has a magical tent (and an interesting story to tell her kids when they're underneath it!) Good on you for seeing the opportunity in the disaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I was pretty devastated for a while there!

      Delete
  5. This is one shocking story. Who on earth would do that to any fabric let alone Liberty! Aah, the sacrilege! Super cute tent though so all is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I even said to one of the Amitie employees 'doesn't she know this is Liberty!?'.

      Delete
  6. Oh the pain. All the best in getting the cost of the fabric back.

    The quilt is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness that is one of the worst sewing stories I have heard. Glad you have a cute tent though. If you ever go down this path again (!?!) have heard Susan Campbell of Rowdy Flat Quilting in Yackandandah is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! How could she be so careless? I was just about to go to Amitie (hadn't visited yet), but disappointing. It's a very pretty quilt tho, and I hope it is enjoyed during this weather were having!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very disappointing to hear this and I hope it is sorted to your satisfaction. I have used Desley from Addicted to Quilts (www.addictedtoquilts.com.au) for many years now and her work is faultless. A number of my family and friends now use her too. Although her blog showcases very fancy and beautiful quilting, she is never dismissive of even the simplest quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Accidents happen but I think the very least you should be refunded for the Liberty fabric - surely a professional service has business insurance to cover such accidental damage to customer property?
    Anyway, very pretty and girly tent and good to see the fabric in use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, just stumbled across a new to me website that sells Liberty for $38/m here in Aus which appears to be a little cheaper than other Aus sources...http://www.missmargueriteshaberdashery.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a very sad tale - how some people can be in business?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Rachel... I read this post filled with horror...we all make mistakes but this seems to be a litany of errors. Why as a professional quilter would you not know the liberty lawn was the featured side?
    When I down next (Feb) happy to have a look at it for you. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is devastating! So unprofessional. Very poor service. At least you were able to still use part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no! At least you got a gorgeous tent, but I can understand why you were upset: have you heard back from her? Seems a pretty daft thing to do...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my god! Liberty murder. I went all Linda Blair upon reading this (minus the green vom).
    What a crazy story...most unprofessional, glad you got some joy from the fabric in the end though :-)

    ReplyDelete