Saturday, January 11, 2014

SEW BOSSY: Salme Patterns Playsuit

A few (many?) months ago I started noticing many of the bloggers I like to read had participated in something called the SEW BOSSY INITIATIVE.


The SEW BOSSY INITIATIVE is the brainchild of Heather from Closet Case Files (of Bombshell Swimsuit Fame) and Oonaballoona from Kalkatroona. Here are the ground rules:

Find a sewist pal whose style you admire and send each other a complete project by mail! This can be a great pattern or stash busting activity and does not have to cost a lot of money. Suggestions to include in the package:

  1. A pattern or email link to a PDF pattern
  2. Fabric
  3. Lining
  4. All necessary notions, threads, zippers, etc.
  5. Love notes and candy. 

This is the perfect time to pass along a fabric you aren't sure was quite "you", or a pattern you don't feel like grading up.... but more importantly it is a chance to connect and bond with each other while we force ourselves out of our comfort zones and experiment with different colors, styles and ideas. Also, boss someone around their sewing machine. Think of it as the sewing world equivalent of a trust fall.

There are so many bloggers I admire, but if I could be any sewist for a day and be in her brain and steal all of her sewing ideas, it would have to be Kelli from True Bias. She had me at Ikat Blazer. So in October last year, I decided to take the plunge and contact Kelli. She said yes! Phew. It was kinda like asking someone for a date. We agreed to keep it pretty gentle - no hard and fast deadlines. 

I was pretty excited to see what Kelli would send me. When the package arrived, I tore it open extremely quickly. And inside was something I would never have ventured to myself, and I thank Kelli for making me think outside my sartorial boundaries, because I am now the proud owner of an Ikat Salme Patterns Playsuit.




Salme Patterns are PDF patterns and don't come with seam allowances, so the pattern required some prep work. Once I'd added the recommended 1cm seam allowances, I muslined the size 38. It needed the following adjustments:

  1.  Lengthened the front crotch curve by 3cm.
  2. Lengthened the back crotch curve by 2.5cm (to ascertain how much to lengthen by I measured the crotch curve of my Tessuti Chloe Pants - comparing against another pants pattern is my standard way of altering the crotch in pants). 
  3. Took in the side seams another 1.5cm in total on each side.
  4. Lengthened the shorts by 3cm.
  5. Changed the pocket pieces completely. I really didn't like the way they were constructed so I changed the pockets to be constructed as per the Grainline Maritime Shorts - so much easier and neater). 


The Ikat fabric is soooo soft. I want more. A pleasure to sew.


The pattern calls for a purchased belt, and I do have a few nice belts, but I had seen a beautiful wide, colourful trim on Tessuti's Instagram page and knew I wanted to make a belt from it. So I purchased about 90cm, and some 5cm belt spacers from Buttonmania and made a very simple belt. I really like the belt with the playsuit - what do you think?


I admit I was a tad nervous about the logistics of a playsuit. I'm going to come out and say it - would I be able to go to the loo easily enough? I drink a lot of tea, so this is quite a concern for me. I was pleasantly surprised - it is actually quite easy to handle - it is more the belt that is annoying as I have to be a bit gentle with it.

So - Kelli, thank you for bossing me into a playsuit - I now have a playsuit for playing in! Naturally I had to test it's propensity for playing so I climbed our Japanese maple tree in the front yard. In wedges and in front of the neighbour's cool teenage daughter who plays really loud techno music in her car. I can report that the playsuit stood the test of tree climbing.



Make sure you pop over to Kelli's blog to see what I bossed her into making - our time differences mean her post may not be up yet… or maybe it is - I'm hopeless with time differences!

Thanks also to Heather and Oona for hosting the Sew Bossy Initiative - I hope they like what we've made! Are any of you playing along? It is very fun!

42 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you got bossed around, because the playsuit looks fantastic on you! Great make, and I love the belt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara! I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like wearing a playsuit!

      Delete
  2. The pantsuit looks great on you Rachel, lovely fabric and a great fit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra - I think the fit of it is pretty important!

      Delete
  3. I've been so looking forward to seeing this since you came in to buy the belt trim. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sewbossy and Kelli nailed it Of course you should have a playsuit in your wardrobe and this looks great! (I have made up this pattern and find it so fun to wear!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty! Kelli did really well - she fully pushed me out of my usual sewing boundaries. And I love your Liberty playsuit - yours is my fave of those made up.

      Delete
  5. Looks awesome for playing in! I really love the fabric and the belt. Yay for being bossy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian - and yep, it is perfect for playing in.

      Delete
  6. That looks fantastic on you - love it. Huzzah for stepping outside of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks totally gorgeous on you! Perfect for the weather this week… Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh cool! And SO very different from your usual makes - but I adore it. I'll admit I've often wondered about the logisitics of a playsuit (another enthusiastic tea drinker here), so it's good to know it works with the lifestyle choices! Love it, and hope it becomes a wardrobe staple for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie. Will never be able to curb my tea drinking, so I'm very glad this works out logistically.

      Delete
  9. This is such a great outfit, so cute! I agree with the challenges of a jumpsuit, I have enough trouble in my pj onesie! Maybe I need to test some snaps at the bottom - haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe - that would be very funny. I think I may have seen adult onesies with snaps....

      Delete
  10. That playsuit looks absolutely lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! you look so stinkin adorable. Cuter than I even imagined. Thank you so much for initiating this. So glad that we are blogging buddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Kelli. Doing this was so much fun! Can't wait to see yours.

      Delete
  12. I love Sew Bossy! I took part with Marie from A Stitching Odyssey. Your play suit is amazing!!! I am a longtime lover of play suits. I think this really suits you. I will have to check out this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I love the dress you made! Definitely check out this pattern - it does come together really easily and I think it is a very 'grown-up' playsuit.

      Delete
  13. Oh wow, this is amazing Rachel! The playsuit is indeed very 'grown-up' and chic and it's so flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love it! I've always wondered about how playsuirts 'work' for women. Good to know that it's not as tricky as I imagine. Love the concept of this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, they do 'work' - I had been wondering too!

      Delete
  15. Love this! Such a great collaboration (I totally would have paired you two in my fantasy draft pick). And what you have is teh cutiest cute playsuit to run around in! Yay for bossiness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is sooooooo cute! Love it on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks really great on you - I love the fabric and the belt goes really well with it. And playsuits seem like a great option for a hot day (not that we ever get any in London!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great for a hot day! Though we've had 43 degrees (Celsius) these last few days and I am pretty much wearing a singlet and knickers. It is too hot for anything!

      Delete
  18. Kelli did such a good job, the fabric and the pattern really suit you! I hope you wear it lots it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. aaah i love this! and you & i are making the same belt in a different colorway, as luck would have it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This has to be the best jumpsuit I've seen in ages.

    ReplyDelete