Friday, February 22, 2013

Italian Cambie: The 3rd (and final!) Sydney Sewing Social Frock

Here is my third and final frock that I sewed for the Sydney Sewing Social - my Sewaholic Cambie Dress, sewn in some lovely cotton Sateen Michael bought for me on his last work trip to Italy. What a man!

Must learn not to slouch. Have started doing pilates exercises at night to combat this.

I'm slightly worried this type of sleeve/shoulder strap makes me look like a gridiron player. What do you think?

I wore this on the third day - the Sunday. Leith and I went touring a bit. We went to Adriano Zumbo's patisserie cafe for breakfast, had a gander at a market where we bought our kids some sunnies, went to look at the harbour bridge and the Opera House and then had a vietnamese salad for lunch. Then it was time to go home!

But back to the Cambie. I had to make a lot of alterations, so I'm glad I made a muslin. This is what I did:

  • I started with the size 8 bodice, but ended up taking it in about 1.2 cm on each side. 
  • I pinched about 1cm out of the middle of the sweetheart neckline - I did this by creating a tiny dart, and then cut the piece as one whole piece - so not half on the fold. 
  • I shortened the straps at the shoulder seam by 1.5cm and then where the straps meet the bodice by 2cm - but only on the inside edge, not the side edge. I just tapered to nothing about halfway along the strap. 
  • I took 1.5cm out of each back piece from the top - tapering to nothing at the bottom. 
  • I shortened the bodice by 3cm. In its original length it didn't hit my natural waist - it was way below it and just didn't look very flattering. 


A lot of adjustments! But I have to say it is a great easy-wearing dress that I feel comfortable wearing as an every-day dress. I've also made a Liberty one (pics coming soon) that I love the fit of, but am worried the fabric makes me look a wee bit washed out. 

I've had a bit of a break from sewing maniacally since our Sydney trip. Still been sewing a bit but not really feeling enthusiastic or motivated. Then this morning I was thinking about my planned projects and realised I've got tonnes to do - mostly because I've promised my sis a dress for her birthday in March and am sewing Little M a single bed quilt for her birthday in April. Plus I've got the Sewcie Tea dress to do and I want to enter the Tessuti Competition. Better get my skates on! 

6 comments:

  1. Another lovely dress. Loving the colours in the print. Cute shoes too. Are they Elk? I just realised I forgot to comment on your last dress....must have kept that one in my head. Just wanted to say that I LOVE it. The pattern and print are gorgeous. Wouldn't mind one of those for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernice! Yep, they're Elk. I have about 5 pairs from Elk - they are incredibly soft and never give me blisters.

      Delete
  2. What a great dress! The fit is simply amazing... I like the shoulder/sleeves, you shouldn't worry. I'm glad Cambie is on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your site! You will be in our prayers and thoughts! Nice and informative post
    on this topic thanks for sharing with us.Thank you

    POLISHED CONCRETE SYDNEY
    CONCRETE RESURFACING SYDNEY
    FLOOR LEVELLING SYDNEY
    CONCRETE REPAIRS SYDNEY
    EPOXY COATINGS SYDNEY
    CONCRETE POLISHING SYDNEY

    ReplyDelete