Friday, January 20, 2012

My Most Favourite Skirt in the World

Do you make yourselves a special garment for Christmas day? I do. I've gotten into the habit since I started sewing, and as of next Christmas, I'm going to sew something special for Little M too. I'm also going to sew her birthday dresses every year - I've got the cutest pattern picked out for this year - more on that to come soon.

This year I had a sew myself something that would allow me to breastfeed, and something heat-friendly - Melbourne's weather on Christmas day was tropical - reminded me of my Queensland home! When we were in Italy, Tessuti posted this skirt made by Georgia on their blog. I immediately fell into lust, and wanted to make my own using some of my Singapore cotton. Here is what I came up with:



I used a yoked waistband off a simple skirt pattern, and the tiers are just rectangles of the fabric - the full width and 25cm long. I didn't have enough fabric to make 3 tiers - I stupidly didn't check my fabric width, made the skirt using 3 tiers (1st tier is one piece of fabric, 2nd tier is two, 3rd tier is three), slipped it on to test the fit and looked like I was wearing a bandage on the top half. My fabric was 110cm wide, Georgia's lovely version was 145cm wide. Woops. So I unpicked and started again. Dedication I say.

I fully lined it using a viscose lining from my stash as the fabric is very sheer - the lining makes the skirt more full and very swishy, which I love. Who doesn't love a good twirl?


The best part of the skirt to me though is the pom-pom trim along the hem (completely copied from Georgia). It is from Tessuti, and is extremely cute (Little M thinks so too - she tried to rip it off - I think she's brilliant for using her pincer grip, but would prefer her not to practice on my skirt :-). I used just under 4m.


I feel very feminine in this skirt, and hope to wear it more this summer - I might wear it to lunch with a dear friend of mine today. I don't know what to start on next - got the Colette Patterns Handbook for Christmas from Michael - should I make the Meringue skirt? Any other suggestions?

10 comments:

  1. Wheeee! So lovely to see you again. I love the pom pom trim. There's loads of that down my market. I might have to copy your copy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the pom pom trim is divine! It adds a lovely charm to a very pretty skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I love pom pom trim! Especially when it's used in adult garments. Love this. I'm mentally filing away "copy this skirt" when summer comes around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the edging! So darling! Reminds me of Kimbra's dress in the 'Cameo Lover' film clip, I've been wanting to make one! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This skirt is so lovely Rachel and the pom pom trim is so much fun! You look gorgeous as ever and I can't wait to see what dress you've got in store for your little one ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want pompom trim too! Oh, that is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skirt is really lovely. The drape and swirly factor is spot on. The pom poms are all a bit quirky and cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely fabric and i do love me some pom poms (or bobbles)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pom pom trim it really adds the special touch to this skirt - gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete