The other thing on my immediate sewing list is a party frock for my upcoming 30th Birthday Party. I have about 1 month.
I bought this pattern for this purpose:
I think it is suitably 'Party' - do you?
Now, the problem is fabric. I need 4m. What sort of fabric do you think would work best with this pattern? There are no fabric recommendations made on the pattern.
Taffeta? Silk? Cotton?
Now, how about colour? I have two choices - monochromatic, or (obviously) patterned in some way. I think I look best in bright, solid colours.
Something to consider is that if I make it in a monochromatic fabric, I can enter it in The Tessuti Awards. I can enter it in the 'Frock Up In Colour' category -- the prize is a trip to New York. Quite a prize.
Obviously, the fabric must be bought from their store. So, I looked on their online fabric store website, and came up with some options - both contest appropriate and some patterned ones that couldn't be entered:
- Bright Red Rayon. $28/m. Would be slippery to sew.
- Grey Double Silk Georgette. $28/m I'm guessing it would be slippery to sew too.
- Japanese cotton. $25/m Easy to sew with. Medium weight - maybe too heavy for all the gathers?
- Satin Silk. $42/m (this is getting way out of my price range given I need 4m). Would probably be a bit slippery to sew.
- Silk twill. $28/m. Slippery-ish. Maybe too light-weight?
These are just a few ideas. And of course, I can shop elsewhere for fabric for this dress (sorry anyone from Tessuti who may read this!).
So - what do you think? What type of fabric? Which colour? Patterned or monochromatic? I'd love to hear what you think!