Monday, January 25, 2010

Burda DayDream Long Dress

This was my first foray into the world of Burda Magazines. It is the 07-2009-116 Daydream Long Dress:






Cos my Mama and Papa live in Queensland, and me and Michael were overdue to spend Christmas with his parents in Melbourne, I was given money for Christmas, and told to spend it on fabric. Yay!! So I toddled off to Tessuti Fabrics, which has the most gorgeous and luxurious fabrics in Melbourne. I got the jersey and contrasting fabrics for this dress, and a Japanese cotton that I made a Burda skirt from (will post this later down the track). 


The fabric was a dream to work with (no pun intended) -- but the pattern needs a few adjustments to fit like it does on the model in the magazine. These were the adjustments I made:


1. I did not cut to my measurements - I cut approximately 2 sizes smaller. Either the pattern runs large, or because of the jersey, it needs to be smaller. 
2. I did not insert the side zipper. I have enough trouble with zips on cotton, let alone jersey, and I really couldn't see why it was needed either - even cutting it much smaller than my measurements I can pull it on over my head. 
3. I sewed in elastic to the top of the bust, and the bottom. If I hadn't have done this, it the dress would not sit flat around my bust at all. 
4. I lengthened it by about 10cm. This is a petite half-sizes pattern, and I am not petite in height - I am about 172cm in bare feet. 


So..... after all these adjustments, I adore the dress. It feels very glamourous on, and is nice and cool. Plus, because of the gathering around the bust (and my small bust) I can get away with not wearing a bra -- excellent for hot Aussie summers. 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips, i want to make this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turned out lovely, and I like your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete