Monday, January 26, 2015

Two-Piece Setacular

Hi! Happy new year. It's been so long since I blogged. After Sewjourn in December last year I sprained my neck. That has seriously curtailed my sewing, blogging, fun etc. But I'm slowly on the road to recovery and have something I sewed at Sewjourn to show you.

I really love Gorman clothing. Their most current collection had a bunch of 'sets' of clothing - predominantly full skirts and culottes teamed with a cropped woven tank. I really wanted my own version. I was also hugely inspired by the round of Setaculars, the brain child of Sophie from Ada Spragg, that were everywhere in blogland last year.

First, I found the perfect fabric - an Italian cotton called Ink Floreale from Tessuti, which is now no longer available. I then decided to make a circle skirt and a matching cropped top. I used vintage Style 3863 for the skirt - a full circle skirt pattern from the 1980's.


I borrowed this picture from the Tessuti blog - Lisa also made this recently.

I then used my staple woven tank pattern, OOP Simplicity 2599, to create a cropped tank.


So, here she is! My Gorman-inspired two-piece setacular.


 

I tried to get it so that tank finished just over my waistband, and would only flash teeny bits of skin when I stretched. One of the women at Sewjourn helped me mark the length - I can't remember who it was, but they were spot on! Thanks!



Can you see my invisible zip at the CB? Me either!!


This all came together really well. I have made the tank a million times so no thought was really needed. The skirt hung from the first night at Sewjourn until last weekend.... so over a month. This wasn't intentional, I just couldn't really sew for a while after spraining my neck. I had to machine stitch it (I wouldn't usually) as I'm still not up to long periods of hand stitching (or sewing full stop).

I feel amazingly feminine in this outfit. There is something about wearing a waisted skirt with the cropped tank, and the swishy-ness of the skirt that makes me feel all w-o-m-a-n.


I'm glad to be back blogging. I have a backlog from Sewjourn and one item from since I've been back. I'm also really looking forward to sewing a bit more now my neck is on the mend.

30 comments:

  1. I love this outfit. Maybe I should don my hot pants & you this stunning two piece spectacular & we can go dancing... 💃

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun!. Very on trend. You look very summery - the colours really pop! Hope your neck continues to mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely setacular. The proportions are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a two piece set! The top length is bang on and that fabric is so fun. I have a couple of two piece sets planned for this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great - love your fabric and two piece combo. It's giving me a summery feeling in the middle of northern winter - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great!! Love the two-piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is actually cold here today! Our summer has been non-existent this year :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kat! Can't wait to see yours. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Noelle! I was a bit nervous about the length of that top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bernice. The neck is getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving this outfit... Specially the skirt.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! If only we were the same size I'd steal it! Super excited I spotted the last 2m of this fabric. I'm planning a Hollyburn skirt (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally awesome! And so verstatile too. I love a good two-piece set-actular!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty and stylish. And very glad to hear your neck is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous. I love Gorman stuff as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you're on the mend, Rachel! 2014 sounds like it was a horrid one for your health so here is to a strong and healthy 2015! This is so freaking cool- I love the length of the crop and how it just hints that it is two pieces. It's on trend and sassy and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Rachel, I am sorry to hear about your health - it sounds awful. I hope you are healing well. I felt nostalgic seeing the Style pattern - they were good in the day! I love your outfit - it is happy and the bright colours suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Maree, thanks - my neck is coming along slowly. I've just had a flare-up - the desk/chair set-up at work is simply awful and really setting me back. I love some of the Style patterns. Such good style lines! I feel good in this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Suzy! I really love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do! I'm going to wear the skirt by itself tomorrow. Thanks Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Stephanie - the skirt is really swishy and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Amanda! Yep, 2014 was a pretty crappy year. Here's hoping 2015 is better!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A Hollyburn will be lovely. It is such swishy fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! It's tempting me to make a classy crop too

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do it! I think they are really versatile too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you are back! I usually just lurk and don't comment :) but wanted to say that, and no wonder you feel feminine in that dress, you look great it in - both modern and retro at the same time somehow. Hope you continue to improve and get back to feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh what a fantastic Gorman inspired outfit. I was just in Gorman this weekend poking around the winter collection. I feel I can't bring myself to spend money on ready to wear clothes anymore but they're so darn lovely.

    ReplyDelete