Saturday, October 18, 2014

Yves Saint Laurent Set-Acular Goes to the Nurse's Ball

My lovely sister Ruth asked me a while back if I would like to go as her date to her annual nurse's ball. Matt, her fiancé, has decided it is not his thing. It is most definitely my thing. Getting dressed up, swanning around sipping champagne, being generally a little bit fancy. Being the mother of a 3 yo, I do not get fancy. I get dirty, rumpled and generally tired. In short, I jumped at the chance to have a fancy night on the town with my dear sister.

I had planned another dress, out of silk I got for Christmas. I stuffed the bodice. I could fix it, but could not fix it in time for the ball. I don't really have a fancy fabrics stash, with lovely silks waiting my attention, so with just under two weeks until the ball, I paid Tessuti a rather panicked visit, and bought 2.2m of Musk Graffiato, a divine silk crepe de chine that Trish told me was a Yves Saint Laurent fabric. Let me tell you, it is amazing.

As I didn't have much time, I decided to go super simple. I also really wanted to make something I would wear again. I have done a wardrobe purge recently and need flattering clothing I feel good in. I have also been lusting after a very simple maxi skirt that Debbie made a while back, and so decided I would do a maxi skirt and shell top.


The top is Simplicity 2599 a very simple shell top with a few variations. I made the most simple of tops, no frill, in a size 12. The only things I did differently were binding the neck and arms and I used french seams. No way an overlocker was coming anywhere near my beautiful silk!


The skirt is a basic gathered skirt. I used a straight waistband with the zip going all the way to the top - I really don't like button overlaps on these types of skirts.

I didn't line either - I wanted them to be summer garments, light and swishy. The fabric was an absolute dream. Just wonderful to sew with.



I wore it with an Elk necklace and earrings, Elk shoes and a Saba belt.


Here I am with Ruthy. Little M said she looked like a ballerina queen. High praise. 


I had a great time - it was nice to be out and about, nattering away and eating nice food and drinking champagne. And of course, being all dressed up!

I see myself getting a lot of wear from these two pieces as separates. I think it was a good idea to sew something like this. I'm doing some serious planning for my Summer wardrobe. I want it to be a thoughtful plan, with coordinated pieces that will last. Do you plan your sewing? Or are you like me usually - sew the newest pattern in whatever fabric takes your fancy? 



21 comments:

  1. You look beautiful and what perfect wardrobe planning! Love the hair and new lipstick :) I am the type to sew the nearest pattern in whatever fabric takes my fancy. OK that's not quite true... I am desperately trying to find a dress pattern that takes my fancy... then I'll find a fabric that takes my fancy. Complicated times

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so effortlessly glamorous in this. What a wonderful fabric find! Oh and yes, I'm like you. Too much planning on the sewing front stresses me out a bit. Like I have to get through everything just to get to the end of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These/This is gorgeous, totally glamorous and I love that they're separates, you've done your YSL silk proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning colour & style on you Rachel. A two piece... Great vision & understanding of what you'll wear again. Looking forward to hearing about those sewing plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! And so useful too, impressed with your foresight. You will seriously get so much wear out of them. Silk CDC is as tough as nails, especially in a dark colour like that and will be divine to wear in Summer. A three year old couldn't come close to destroying it! Don't you dare hide it away in your closet as 'too special to wear'! Even though it is clearly special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! This colour looks amazing on you! I love the idea of matching separates - and these pieces will look great on their own. Fantastic fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look utterly fabulous and the 2 of you together must've been the best dressed ladies at the ball. Here's to hoping you get plenty of wear out of such gorgeous garments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! What a lovely compliment. I think I'll get lots of wear. Already planning to wear the top tomorrow to work with black pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Heather! I am really into matching separates now... a little too into them I think - I've got another 3 sets brewing in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Debbie! Silk CDC is my second favourite fabric (after linen of course!). I intend to wear the heck out of them, don't you worry!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Anna! I bought a planning book today - I've started sketching out garment ideas. I've always been highly organised at work and in my social/family life, but never with sewing - I don't know myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I do love that fabric. Amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kirsty! I usually wouldn't plan with sewing, but I've found myself constantly standing in front of my wardrobe not finding anything to wear of late. I need a revised style and a plan so I don't end up wearing the same Clover pants and t-shirt every day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jillian! I don't usually wear lipstick, and feel like a whole new person wearing this. Finding patterns can be really hard - although I must admit that I never find it hard to source a new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a great outfit, well done :) I do plan my sewing, but it is a short term plan, long term ones tend to change often :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant! Fantastic idea to sew as two pieces. You look fabulous in that cranberry color, too. Bet the skirt feels awesome to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look gorgeous! Just shows you don't have to have the most complicated garments to be effective and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is simply stunning, Rachel! I love that you have made this as two separate pieces to maximise wearing this again. That fabric looks luscious as well! I am trying hard to plan my new wardrobe but my willpower is so weak when new fabrics come to my attention...

    ReplyDelete
  19. From the photo you posted on IG I totally thought this was a jumpsuit (which I was loving by the way)! I really like how you've made separates and how you've made something so simple look so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought it was a jumpsuit too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look amazing! What an awesome sister. I'd love to go to a ball. This is a gorgeous set. I totally thought it was a jumpsuit to when I saw it on insty. But either way it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete