This post is therefore about my dress! I decided to make the Deer and Doe Belladone dress. I have wanted to make this dress since seeing PoppyKettle's Blue Version. How gorgeous!
After much toiling, this is what I came up with!
Isn't that fabric divine? It is a stretch cotton from Tessuti. Pretty heavy weight. I can't find it on the Tessuti website but I bought it about two months ago with this dress specifically in mind.
The binding is silk crepe de chine, also from Tessuti. It was very difficult to find a coordinating binding! Thank you to Anna and Lisa for helping me choose.
So.... the dress. Holy moly did I have to make some adjustments. I started with a size 38, and this is what I did:
- Lowered the bust dart by 1.5cm (next time I will lower even more).
- Took 2cm total out of the front neckline.
- Overlapped the back pieces by 9.5cm!! Weird as I am broad-shouldered.
- Took 3cm total out of the lower back neck edge.
- Added 1.5cm to the hem.
Here are some pictures of the altered pieces:
I also drafted facings instead of finishing them as per the pattern. I don't 'trust' an unlined dress at the best of times, and this dress relies on the bodice sitting beautifully and sturdily, so I decided to face it. This meant there was a lot of bulk in some of the bodice seams, so I catch-stitched the seams down so they lay flat.
I'm glad I made the effort with the bodice - because look! No gaping!
I had a lot of fun - my highlights were meeting Renae from the Long and Winding Bobbin, consuming a ginger martini that was the bomb, and chatting to all the wonderful sewists who attended. My goodness the frocks that were worn were TO DIE FOR! Sequins, silks, rayons, laces..... I was in heaven. Thank you Kat for organising such a fantastic night!
EDITED TO ADD: I also forgot to say a massive thank you to Lara for taking my photos, giving me a lift and being a great friend!