Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Briar. And Anita.

You know one of the things I most love about having some real life sewing friends (apart from having awesome friends)? I can try on their sewn garments to (a) see if they look good on me and (b) check the fit.

This is what I did when I went over Anna's a few weekends ago and she was wearing her Megan Nielson Briar top. Readers, I cannot lie. I nearly ripped it off Anna's back. But I thought that would be rude so I politely waited until we were combing through her amazing wardrobe and calmly tried it on instead.

Luckily for me, it fit like a complete dream, simply needing 2cm added to the length of the front. So I made myself the size L with the added length, and ended up with a beautifully warm jumper:

See my cute green beads from yesterday? Little M wore her pink and purple ones out today too and we had quite a few comments about Mummy & Me matching outfits. Not sure how I feel about that!


This Briar is made from a Merino wool knit - quite a thick one - from The Fabric Store on Brunswick St. Luckily this pattern doesn't need much fabric, because I got sucked in to the tune of $38/m. But I have to say - this is THE most lusciously warm knit - I wore it out tonight for dinner and didn't wear a coat, despite it being coat weather. 


What can I say about this pattern? It comes together like a dream. I LOVE the way the neckline binding is attached (sorry, I forgot to get a close-up sans scarf). It just looks so professional. The merino was also a dream to sew. Despite some initial hesitation, I also really love the high-low hem. I think it is a cool way to layer. I'm not sure I'd wear the Briar without another layer underneath. After having my appendix out and giving birth, my tummy muscles are not as tiiiiight as I'd like them to be. So no midriff peeks from me. 


I also have to report that I have made another (two!) pair of Anita Ponti Pants. My previous Bleach Boys pair gets a serious workout, so I bought some extremely thick black ponti from Tessuti. I originally made this ponti into a pair of Style Arc Sailor Sue Palazzo Pants and the ponti was such a bad fabric choice that I refashioned them into these Anitas. I sized down for this pair too - really sized down. I would estimate these are at least a size 6 in the waist and leg - possibly smaller. I started with my size 10 but the first time I wore them spent the day hoiking them up. So I unpicked the waist and the hems and made them a lot smaller.


This Briar and a pair of Anita Pants has been my go-to outfit over the last while. I love the combo, and it keeps me super warm on these horrible chilly Melbourne days we've been having (although the last two days have been beautifully sunny). I love the outfit so much that I have made another Briar and another pair of printed Anitas that I will show you soon.

So - what is your take on the Briar? Are you a fan of the high-low hem?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for inspiring me with some Autumn/Winter makes - this whole outfit is fab. I'm fully focused on Summer stuff here (UK) but I had been wondering what to populate my to make list with for winter wardrobe. I best start saving for merino wool knit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great, but you know how I feel. :) I may have given my Briar pattern away too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pattern abandonment! Drastic my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look great on you - but I'm not sure the Briar is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fab - it's such a great outfit in the way that it's casual, but chic at the same time! I've made a Briar recently, but I added a peplum to my version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great in your layers. I do like a subtle high-low hem such as the Briar and all the Megan Nielsen patterns that incorporate that look. I don't care for the more dramatic, mullet-types at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that outfit, and seeing this long sleeved version of the briar, makes me seriously consider bying the pattern. Love the layering and i would also never wear it without something underneath. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Rachel...I like this look on you. I too love the merino knit from the Fabric Store...it made up beautifully for me in a 'dressed up' sweatshirt...so warm. Little M will remember these beads for the rest of her life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this on you Rachel! Glad to see that gorgeous merino has been put to such good use. I'm still a bit scared of the style of the Briar on me...love the Anita pants too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must sew the Briar (when it's back in stock for me to buy!). I'm with you on the tummy muscles, 3 kids means no midriff flashing for me. I've made a pair of Anita pants and need to go down a size or two too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a briar fan too... I have fabric for a couple more and am thinking some details like elbow patches might be nice next time around. And I love your Anita pants, I might have to try that pattern, even though I really shouldn't buy any more patterns at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I need to make this! I wonder if I should do sit-ups for a few weeks first, though. Actually, since I'm short and broad-shouldered, I wonder if this would be weird on me no matter what. But I love the silhouette so much! You should post this to the knitting community at Kollabora—it's so hard to find ideas for really chic knitwear.

    ReplyDelete