Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I'm Back! With a Liberty Fabric Gabby Dress

Hello everyone. It has been a while, hasn't it? So much has happened in the last two months (!). We have painted the inside of our house, ripped up carpet, polished floorboards, moved out of the old house and into the new one. During that time we went to New Zealand for a wedding and got snowed in on the day we were due to leave. Then on the morning of our replacement flight home both Michael and Little M got gastro. And the flight wasn't direct. It has been nuts around here.

We moved in here about 1.5 weeks ago and it has been a whirlwind of unpacking, doing various handyman chores and settling in. It might sound like I haven't done any sewing, but in fact I have done a lot. I've made a party dress for the NZ wedding, Little M's party dress, another dress for Little M, a skirt, a Lily Linen dress and I've fixed a silk Gabby dress that I used the marked side of the fabric mistakenly with. I also attended a Freddie vest class.

Perhaps most significantly, I sewed an entire garment made of Liberty of London fabric for the first time:



I bought this off Shaukat, the UK website that sells Liberty fabric for around AU$20. I absolutely fell in love with the print - and the colours are amazing. And go perfectly with my new Saltwater Sandals. I love this one - it is sooooo nice to wear.




I didn't want to mess with the print too much so I decided to make another Gabby dress. Yes, I am now stepping away from the pattern. I am spreading my wings.

I don't have much to say about the pattern given I've made it 3 times before (the silk version still needs to be photographed). I made a size small with no alterations bar lengthening it by 5cm.

I'm hoping to get some photos soon of one of my other projects. I do go to NZ for work in just over a week though so lets how things go!

And I really want to meet up again - how is everyone positioned for the second week in November?

13 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Love the pattern and feel of this piece. And thanks for the Shaukat tip- so heading over there now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel - georgeous dress!

    The other Rachel (my messsings) is organising some social sewing days at GJ's. The next one is next Sat (I think) and then another one in Nov. The last one was lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning dress - a perfect match of Liberty and pattern. I love it! I made my first Liberty dress when I was in my late teens, still at school. I remember how my Mum and I agonised about what pattern to use for such precious fabric. I made a shirt for my 21st from Liberty fabric as well - it came from Clegs. I wish I'd kept that shirt! And it's lovely to see you back blogging after such an eventful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, you've been a very busy bee!!! Well done for getting so much sewing done though - your Liberty dress above is sooooo sweet! Can't wait to see what else you've made ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! That's such a pretty, simple silhouette. Perfect for fancy fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so happy in these photos. Lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, lovely, lovely! Welcome back to the blog world. How good are those sandals?! A meet up of the eat, drink, shop, talk variety sounds great. Can't do second weekend. How about the 3rd weekend? Or Finders Keepers market this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaay!You're back. This is pretty but more decreased coverage clothing please. You should totally show off your fab figure! Also yes yes for the meetup. Can we do someplace with better eats please? Sorry but the last place was a bit too eh. I know it totally depends on the size of the gathering but just my two cents anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and before I forget-I'd like to suggest veggiebar or the little creatures hall if we're going to the fabric store on brunswick street (which I'd also like to put forward) XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Little Creatures beer hall and The Fabric Store with a pram-free trip up the stairs to the Allanah Hill fabric outlet would be heaven!!

      Delete
  10. Ok, we're doing that. I'll post about it tomorrow. Will do it for the weekend you said Leith. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete