Friday, January 7, 2011

Delving Into Men's Tailored Shirts

After taking a few deep breaths, last night I committed myself to making Michael a tailored shirt for his b'day in April (before bub is due) this year. I set this idea in stone by blabbing to several friends at dinner that I would be doing so. Michael was there and heard, so there is really no backing out now.

I had decided Colette Patterns' Negroni shirt would be perfect:


I think this is a wise choice for my first men's shirt as I've used Colette Patterns before and the instructions are nothing short of amazing. I also got Michael's approval, which is clearly the most important factor in pattern choice.

To further make this project easier, I have joined Peter's Sew A Long (his blog is Male Pattern Boldness - it is hilarious and he is an awesome seamster). It is perfect timing - his sew-a-long begins on February 1, and he is using the Negroni pattern. My plan is to make a 'wearable muslin' version with the sew-a-long and then make the 'good' version after that for the b'day present.

Is anyone else sewing along? I'm quite excited!!

I've got a Burdastyle Anda waiting to be photographed to show you, and I'm unpicking and making smaller a Vogue DKNY frock that should be ready soon - I'm quite frustrated with the DKNY frock as I made a muslin first, amended the pattern, and it was still massive. Very annoying. And then my sewing will slow right down, as I'm back at work on Monday - very sad about that. Hope you're having good weekends!

6 comments:

  1. I would love to make Corey and shirt but I would have to convince him to let me first. Not sure how that will go. Colette patterns are great! Especially when sewing something you haven't done before. All her instructions make things seem super easy. I wish she would do a pants pattern because I would love to learn how to sew pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in too ! I bought hubb a xmas shirt that he totally dissed. Spewing !
    So redemption has to be made. (that or a separation)
    lore
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sewing along, too! I'm making my Mr. Friday a Hawaiian style shirt, as he really looks great in Big Bopper style looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that shirt pattern, but I'm not convinced my husband would wear a shirt that I made - I suggested it, and he seemed uncertain. So I'm sitting out for now, but I can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My darling husband is too hard wearing for anything that I would make. :(
    Sorry to hear your back to work, but I go on holidays on thursday! Woohoo. Can't wait to see photos of your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Negroni shirt patterns are very much effective and tailored as a perfect fit. I like the Peter sew blog very much as it provides the tips on the sewing dress shirts. Definitely benefit me for creating some new patterns. Good Job buddy.

    ReplyDelete